Gnocchi Sorrento is one of the most popular and famous dishes from the Campania region in Italy. Restaurants from around the world offer them and their recipe is the most popular found on the Internet. It is easy and quick to prepare with the taste of fresh tomato sauce, mozzarella and basil scent. All these ingredients make this recipe an excellent representative of a tasty Mediterranean dish. I hope you enjoy making this a much as I did.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 1kg Potatoes
- 300g Flour Type 00
- 500 ml Tomato Passata
- Fresh Basil 12 leaves (choppped roughly)
- Garlic to taste (finely chopped)
- 250g Mozzarella (sliced into thin rounds)
- 150g Parmesan (grated)
- 1 large egg
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Preparing & Cooking the Gnocchi Sorrento
- Wash potatoes, I used Desiree
- Place unpeeled potatoes into large saucepan with water and salt to taste
- Bring to the boil, should be around 45 minutes
- Meanwhile place Tomato Passata, basil, garlic, salt & pepper in sauce pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Once the potatoes are cooked; drain and peel
- On a clean surface place floor in a ring
- Rice the potatoes into the centre of the flour
- Add the egg
- Mix with clean hands until it forms a dough
- Roughly divide dough
- Roll each slice into a dough sausage
- Cut dough sausage into inch chunks
- Using a floured Gnocchi Paddle place dough chuck on ridges. Apply a bit of pressure and roll down the paddle
- Place on baking tray with covered with kitchen roll
- The two gnocchi, top right/two in, were made using a fork inside of the gnocchi paddle. Same process, just roll down fork
- In deep saucepan, cook gnocchi in already boiling salted water. The gnocchi will start at bottom of saucepan and rise to top when cooked. Remove with slotted spoon.
- Place cooked gnocchi in large dish
- Pour over the tomato sauce
- Cover with grated Parmesan
- Place slices of Mozzarella over the dish and place in a very hot preheated oven for 15-20 minutes
- To finish off, place under grill to brown the dish
- Serve and enjoy
Quick Gnocchi Sorrento
Use pre-made Gnocchi and jar Passata. Assemble in exactly the same way.
So “a-taste-of” was conceived whilst watching the world pass by at two miles an hour on a narrow boat holiday in May 2015. During this conception time I came up with the idea of writing a series of cookbooks with a slight twist. The twist will be announced in later blog entries, as too, the writing progress. In parallel to the book writing, a-taste-of.com and @tasty_cooking was also brought to life. a-taste-of.com will be my blog to show my progress as I venture into the world of authorship and @tasty-cooking my day to day comments on everything food.
So sitting back, try the recipes I share, join in with conversations and follow my book writing progress as I enter into unknown territory.
Give you taste-buds a gastronomic adventure,